California’s ALW Program is designed to create affordable housing options for seniors and individuals with disabilities. The program was created to provide an alternative to long-term care facility placement, such as a nursing home.
An individual can be an eligible as an ALW Participant if they meet all of these criteria:
- Age 21 or older
- Have full-scope Medi-Cal eligibility with zero share of cost;
- Have care needs equal to those of Medi-Cal-funded residents living and receiving care in Nursing Facilities;
- Willing to live in an assisted living setting as an alternative to a Nursing Facility;
- Able to reside safely in an assisted living facility or public subsidized housing;
- Willing to live in an assisted living setting located in one of the following counties providing ALW services: Alameda, Contra Costa, Fresno, Kern, Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Diego, San Francisco, San Joaquin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, and Sonoma counties.
Libertana’s Role as an ALW Provider:
- Accessing the Program – Libertana assists applicants with the application process and conducts the required Care Assessment which must be performed by a Registered Nurse. We ensure the application is complete before submitting to the State for approval.
- Libertana can help clients find an Assisted Living Facility (Board and Care, Retirement Community, Residential Care Facility for the Elderly) that is approved by the state to accept ALW Participants.
- Care Coordination – Libertana monitors the ongoing care and service delivered by the ALW to the resident. Additionally, we identify and coordinate additional services as needed to support the resident.
ALW Services are funded through the participants Medi-Cal. There are no out-of-pocket expenses due and payable to Libertana from clients or family members.